יום שני, 11 במאי 2015

Quote #14 – Louis Henry Sullivan

אשמח לתגובות, שאלות, פרגונים ומילה טובה - מרב





  Louis Henry Sullivan architect


(b. Boston, Massachusetts 1856; d. Chicago, Illinois 1924)

Louis Sullivan was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1856. He studied architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for one year. He then worked as a draughtsman for Furness and Hewitt in Philadelphia and for William Le Baron Jenney in Chicago. In July 1874 Sullivan travelled to Europe where he studied in the Vaudremer studio at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. He returned to Chicago a year later.

In 1883 Sullivan became a full partner with Dankmar Adler. They remained together until 1895 when Adler retired. Although Sullivan was usually viewed as the designer being backed by Adler's engineering skills, Adler's work showed an individual strength that has often been ignored. A notable designer who moved up within the office, eventually going out on his own, was Frank Lloyd Wright.

Sullivan's designs generally involved a simple geometric form decorated with ornamentation based on organic symbolism. As an organizer and formal theorist on aesthetics, he propounded an architecture that exhibited the spirit of the time and needs of the people. Considered one of the most influential forces in the Chicago School, his philosophy that form should always follow function went beyond functional and structural expressions.

Considered the "Dean of American Architects", Sullivan died in Chicago, Illinois 1924 shortly after The Autobiography of an Idea and A System of Architectural Ornament. were published.




Auditorium Building, at Chicago, Illinois, 1886 to 1890. 
Babson House, at Riverside, Illinois, 1907. 
Bradley House, at Madison, Wisconsin, 1909 to 1910.  at ArchitectureWeek 
National Farmers' Bank, at Owatonna, Minnesota, 1907 to 1908. 
Pilgrim Baptist Church, at Chicago, Illinois, 1890 to 1891. (originally, Kehilath Anshe Ma' ariv synagogue, until 1922).  at ArchitectureWeek 
Schlesinger and Meyer Department Store, at Chicago, Illinois, 1899 to 1904. 
St. Paul's Church, at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1910 to 1914. 
Wainwright Building, at St. Louis, Missouri, 1890 to 1891.






Auditorium Building, at Chicago, Illinois, 1886 to 1890. 
Babson House, at Riverside, Illinois, 1907. 
Bradley House, at Madison, Wisconsin, 1909 to 1910.  at ArchitectureWeek 
National Farmers' Bank, at Owatonna, Minnesota, 1907 to 1908. 
Pilgrim Baptist Church, at Chicago, Illinois, 1890 to 1891. (originally, Kehilath Anshe Ma' ariv synagogue, until 1922).  at ArchitectureWeek 
Schlesinger and Meyer Department Store, at Chicago, Illinois, 1899 to 1904. 
St. Paul's Church, at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1910 to 1914. 
Wainwright Building, at St. Louis, Missouri, 1890 to 1891.



Blogger Wordpress Gadgets